Skip to main content

Full Circle in the Dining Room

There are a few loose ends to talk about in the new dining room.


With out going into detail...here is what two of the dining chairs looked like when I bought them.


This is what they look like now.

The other four chairs were talked about at length here.


The picture over the radiator was purchased at a yard sale last summer.

It was a little beat up but because it was St. Anthony, a very good friend, I had to see what I could do to salvage the picture and the frame.


I started by painting the frame in gray and charcoal to make it blend with the furnishings in the dining room.


The mat was crumbling and was badly stained.


This is the mat shown from the back.  Obviously, that had to be discarded.


I was able to find a pale green mat at Hobby Lobby that worked with the print and the new colors in the frame. 

With my 40% coupon the mat was $10.  They mounted and installed it in the frame for another $12.  To me that was well worth the hassel free process.
I just brought it home and hung it on the wall.


So, from this version of the dining room...brown walls, natural woodwork, crystal chandelier, draped window treatment, traditional table and chairs, and ...the most obvious, an opening to the window on the right, that in the next picture will not be there.

 
Now that opening is walled off to provide a half bath for the first floor and the dining room has been given a facelift.

Continue to pivot to the left.

What was.

What is.

Continue to the left ....

to complete the circle around the dining room.

A dining room changes with the seasons and the festivities.  I'm looking forward to showing the table set for a gathering.

Comments

  1. What a transformation! I love, love, love your new dining room! Congratulations! A+ on this project! Enjoy the beautiful fruits of your labor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo, bravo with(clapping sound). Very nice. Another wonderful process with grand results.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful dining room! Totally lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Out of No Where

Isn't it uncanny how a project can sneak into an already crowded schedule? Recently a friend invited me to do a walk through on a two-family he was planning to buy.  A couple pieces of furniture had been left behind and they were dumpster material to him.  Did I go with him thinking there was something there for me?   NO. Was I looking for something in particular? NO.  Did the thought of finding a new project ever cross my mind? NO!  But, see for yourself.  Could you have passed this up?  It was sturdy (translates to a little heavy). There was nothing wrong with it.  It even had all the shelves and the pins that hold them in place.  And without the shelves it was not quite as heavy.  (Try telling me that as my friend and I are hauling it down a flight of stairs.)  More shelving on the side made it even more practical.  I'm sure they could be used for something besides VHS tapes. Here it is in my studio where I could do a complete assessment.  Looks like a good cleaning

On The Upswing

After the last post, it seemed a good idea to do a follow up post to report that things are moving along nicely. This shot was taken before the remodel started.  The door at the end of the hallway leads into the bath now being remodeled. This is where the changes started.  The trim is off the doorway and the door opening will be enlarged to the width of the hallway. This shot taken of that same area now looks like this.  By closing the entrance from the hallway, that bathroom will now be the master bath by keeping the entrance from the bedroom only. This is how it looks from the bathroom side.  the door on the left leads to the hallway and the one on the right into the bedroom. Now it looks like this.  Part of the hallway has become part of the bathroom.  This is where the vanity will be installed.  The partial doorway you see on the right leads to the bedroom. Turning 180 degrees and looking across the room to the opposite corner, you see the window and the en

Small Storage Containers RECYCLED

 With the way grocery products have skyrocketed this past year, it has somehow made the containers they come in seem more valuable. To be transparent, I have always saved glass jars from jam, pickles, and spaghetti sauce.=) You know, small, medium and large. I also saved yogurt cups, sour cream containers, etc. When I was painting furniture and mixing colors, the small containers came in handy. This past summer I got a good laugh when I found a stack of yogurt containers in the back of a cabinet in my studio...at least 60! Needless to say those made it into the trash. More recently I have collected a fair amount of plastic containers with lids that are similar to the food saving containers you buy for that purpose. These are fairly large, about 5x7 inches and approximately 3" deep. They are great for leftovers but also good for storing a multitude of other smallish items. The bottoms are see through which makes them perfect for organizing hobby/craft and workshop items. But once a